Insurance for Massage Therapists
Let us help you get Massage Therapist Insurance
As a massage therapist or RMT, what insurance do I need?
As a registered massage therapist (RMT) or other type of massage therapy professional you need to protect yourself against claims brought forward by injured patients, resulting from negligence or malpractice. The insurance coverage that provides this protection is massage malpractice insurance. For RMTs, depending on the province or state in which you hold your certification, your certifying body may require to have this type of insurance to practice in that province or state.
What is massage malpractice insurance?
Massage malpractice insurance is a form of professional liability insurance, unique to massage therapy professionals. It protects the therapist against alleged claims from injured patients, that resulted from the therapist’s negligence.
What will massage malpractice insurance cover?
The most common types negligence claims that will be covered by massage malpractice insurance:
- Failures or errors in diagnosis
- Failure to attend to a patient
- Substandard treatment
- Failure to protect or warn third parties
- Failures in referral or consultation
Different types of massage liability insurance
There are a few main types of massage liability insurance coverages:
- Occurrence policies: Covers claims made by patients for injuries suffered while the insurance policy was active. This includes claims that are made after the policy expires or has been cancelled, as long as the event causing the injury occurred while the policy was active.
- Claims-made insurance: Covers claims made by patients while the insurance policy is active, no matter when the injury occurred.
- Claims-paid insurance: Covers claims paid by the therapist. This means the policy must be active at the point when the claim must be paid, in order for the therapist to be covered.
What is the cost of massage malpractice insurance?
Similar to other insurance coverages, there are a number of factors the provider will take into account when pricing your policy. These include:
- What certification(s) you hold
- The location in which you practice
- Your years of experience
- Any history of past claims
Questions you should ask when choosing a policy
As a professional massage therapist or RMT, it’s very important you have the right coverage that will protect you and your livelihood. Here are some key questions you should ask when choosing a policy and provider:
- What is covered by and what is excluded from the policy?
- Are there deductibles? How much are they?
- Where does the policy cover me? (i.e. if I work in another province, am I still covered?)
- How are my insurance needs impacted if I hold multiple certifications (for example: RMT and RAC)
- Am I covered for any claims that result from teaching activities or learning new techniques?
- Does the policy cover me for any products I may sell in the course of my business (i.e. exercise equipment, creams or lotions)
- Am I covered if I work out of a home office, on-site or on a mobile unit?