Let’s start with some more details about who we are before we talk about how we manage and protect your personal information. InsureSmartly.ca is an innovative insurance lead generator, operating in Ontario.
Information we collect and how we collect it
The information we collect depends on the insurance products you apply for and buy, the services you have access to and use, the payment method you use, and the way you communicate with us. We collect information in a number of ways:
i) Information you give to us
We collect personal information from you when you inquire about the insurance products we sell, request a quote, apply for insurance, make a payment, or open a claim under your insurance policy. This information includes personal information such as your name, contact information, marital status, driver’s license, vehicle or property descriptions, loan or mortgage details, and payment or banking information.
ii) Information we get from third parties
We also collect information from a number of third parties as permitted by law. These include insurance companies, other insurance agents and brokers, government bodies, consumer reporting agencies, insurance adjusters, home contractors, auto shops, and other third parties who can provide information about or services related to you or your insured vehicle or property. When we do so, we do it with your consent, or otherwise confirm the third party lawfully collected the information and can share it with us. This information includes personal information such as (but not limited to):
- Driving record and claims history
- Credit information
- Accident reports
- Witness statements
- Medical records
iii) Calls, online chats, and other communications
We may record calls, online chats and other communications between us to ensure quality customer service, confirm our discussions and your instructions, resolve complaints, and train our staff. If you do not want your communications recorded, you can do business with us by visiting one of our offices, or by writing or emailing us.
iv) Cookies, web beacons, and other technologies
v) Consenting for others
Why we collect, use and disclose information
We collect, use and disclose personal information for a number of reasons including to:
- serve you better and communicate effectively with you;
- verify your identity and property;
- arrange for the assessment and underwriting of insurance risks;
- determine prices, fees and premiums;
- investigate and assist in adjusting insurance claims;
- arrange for the settlement of insurance claims;
- promote and market products and services offered by us, our affiliates, or our strategic partners and alliances, which may include insurance companies, other insurance brokers, agents, adjusters and other intermediaries;
- conduct market research;
- recognise and deliver relevant ads to you on our and third party websites and apps;
- verify and provide information to and compile statistics for insurance industry databases;
- report to regulatory or industry entities consistent with prudent and legally required insurance industry practices, including claims history;
- detect, prevent and suppress fraud, unauthorized, or illegal activities;
- comply with all applicable laws, including tax requirements;
- share your information with third party service providers for external processing such as data or payment processing;
- share your information among our affiliates, insurance companies or other suppliers we contract with for any of the above purposes.
When we disclose information
When we disclose your personal information to third parties, we require them to protect and handle your personal information in a manner consistent with our privacy practices and all applicable laws. These third parties may at times process and store your information outside of Canada. If your personal information is processed or stored in a foreign country, it will be subject to that country’s laws and may be disclosed in accordance with those laws.
If we enter talks about a merger, acquisition or asset sale with a third party, we may share your personal information with them as necessary to assess or complete the business transaction. If your information will be subject to new privacy practices as a result of a business transaction, we will give you notice of this.
How to correct and access your information
You have the right to request correction of your personal information. You also have a right to access your personal information under our control, subject to any legal restrictions or rights of refusal. However, if you exercise this access right, we may charge you a reasonable fee for copying and sending the information from your file. If you want to access your file or have it corrected, please contact our office.
How to withdraw your consent
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information, subject to certain limitations. However, if you do so, we may not be able to continue to provide you with our insurance products and services, or our best rate on your insurance policy. You may also withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for marketing practices. If you want to withdraw your consent, please contact our office.
Questions or concerns? We want to hear about it.
If you have a concern we are not able to resolve, you have the right to contact your privacy regulator. Our office will give you this contact information upon request.